RSS Feed

Flower Friday

Many years ago I purchased a Sigma 105mm Macro lens for my Canon film camera, and this opened up a whole new world of discovery for me.  I was like Gulliver in Lilliput, obsessed with everything small.  One of my passions became the intricate details of flowers, but for some reason I’ve done very little in this area over the last couple of years.

Fast forward to 2014 and I haven’t been able to get out much with my camera due to two operations (one in Jan and the last in May).  Both were followed by 6 to 8 week recovery time where I’ve not been allowed to do any walking, driving or lifting.

Even though I’ve been so frustrated with being house-bound; one of the positive effects of being ill is that friends and family have brought me some beautiful flowers to enjoy and keep me smiling 🙂

Therefore to keep my photographic juices flowing I’ve been enjoying a return to this subject.  I like to look for patterns and abstract shots, it’s very rare that I will do the full flower.

For today I’ve got a rose for you all.

To a point

This rose was bright orange, however I applied a bleached filter in Lightroom and it’s instantly transformed the flower from really bold and in your face, to romantic and subtle.  I really like this tone.

Petals

Petal burst

I didn’t use any fancy studio lighting (as I haven’t got any) all I did was stick a piece of pink paper to the window on a cloudy day.  I then placed the flower in front of the paper.  I didn’t use a reflector as I wanted to incorporate the shadows.

Thankyou for spending the time to read my post, have a wonderful day and please come back soon.

Advertisements

15 responses »

1. Crooked Tracks

That’s gorgeous 🙂

2. Beautifully done. I could doze off in those velvety folds.

3. A few days ago I made the petal burst a Favorite when you posted these on Flickr. I really like the effect. Sutble and not over powering. The color is so pretty.

4. Excellent… I am a bit obsessed with taking indoor images of flowers as you will know, as I can’t get out too much when the weather is hot (MS and heat are not happy companions). If we want to take photographs, we will find a way! Thanks for following my blog! 🙂

• That’s the beauty of photography Sue; no matter how we feel there is always a photo opportunity in something. I’m so glad that you are able to keep your passion alive indoors when I’m sure there is many a day you don’t feel like it. But it keeps the mind active and occupied on good things 🙂 Keep well x

5. superb and breathtaking macro!!!

6. Beautiful work Claire. Isn’t it odd that sometimes “less is more”!