RSS Feed

Happy New Year

I would like to wish all my followers a very Happy New Year and I hope that 2015 brings you much happiness, love and prosperity.

To start off the new year, I’ve decided to pick five of my favourite photographs of 2014.  This wasn’t as easy as I first thought, mainly because I did a lot of exploring last year which created some wonderful and amazing memories.

Number 1, was taken at Charleville Castle in County Offaly.   A group of us were playing with steel wool and battery operated fairy lights at night.  The picture below was using the latter.

Communicating to the Moon

Communicating to the Moon (Canon 40D, 15secs @f/4.0)

Number 2, was taken in April during a photo workshop in Connemara.  I was very wet and cold taking this picture as I’d already slipped in a stream, but I was so in awe of the light developing in front of me that I didn’t really notice my fingers and toes going numb 😉

Connemara Lough (Canon 40D 1/8 sec @ f/18)

Connemara Lough (Canon 40D 1/8 sec @ f/18)

Number 3, was taken in October during a photo workshop in Donegal.   It was dusk and as I added my Big Stopper Lee Filter the exposure time was quite long, hence the streaking of the clouds and stillness of the sea.

Sunset glory

Sunset Glory (Canon 6D, Big Stopper Lee Filter, 283secs @ f/11)

Number 4, was taken in Donegal on the same weekend as the picture above.  This time it was mid afternoon and the weather wasn’t very exciting, so I added a tone in Lightroom to give the image some feeling.

The Arch (Canon 6D, plus Big Stopper Lee Filter, 80secs @ f/11)

The Arch (Canon 6D, plus Big Stopper Lee Filter, 80secs @ f/11)

Number 5, was taken 5 days ago in Canada, where we spent an amazing 10 days over Christmas.  These were large chunks of ice that were forming in the river.

Icy River (Canon 6D, Big Stopper Lee Filter, 109 secs @f/16)

Icy River (Canon 6D, Big Stopper Lee Filter, 109 secs @f/16)

So I hope that you have enjoyed my favourite five.  Which do you like the most?  I’d love to know your thoughts.

Thankyou for spending the time to read my post, have a wonderful day and please come back soon.

Advertisements

22 responses »

1. Love these images, Claire! The Connemara Lough and the Donegal image are my favourites…..I recently bought a Big Stopper, but have yet to use it! Happy New Year, and look forward to more great photographs in 2015 (hope WordPress Reader lets me see your posts)

• Thank Sue 🙂 The Big Stopper is testing getting the exposure right etc., at the moment it’s all trial and error with me, I haven’t quite mastered the calculations. But it’s great fun, and I love the results. I’m probably going to bore everyone with my use of it in 2015, but hey I’m enjoying it xx You need to get out there and use it, I look forward to seeing your results. 🙂

2. Happy new year to you too!

3. Happy New Year, Claire! You’ve chosen 5 great shots. Difficult to pick a favourite but I’m going for the Connamara Lough – fantastic light on the mountains. Looking forward to more of your photography during 2015.

4. I like number two of the mountains, the color,the light. I’m not crazy about blurry scenes and such but I know that some folks love using light room, HDR , etc.

• Thankyou Yvonne, it was certainly worth getting drenched for :-). Thankyou for your feedback on the blurry shots, they always do seem to create to sides whether you like or loath them :-). I used a filter on my lens to create this effect, I’m not that good in Lightroom etc., just yet anyway. At the moment I’m experimenting and playing around with the filter and what it can do, so I’ll try not to overpower everyone with my over-usage 🙂

5. Lovely photos Claire, especially Sunset Glory and Connemara Lough.
    Thanks for following my blog which has been moved to http://jauntsaroundireland.blogspot.com. I hope to see you there. 🙂

6. Love the “Sunset Glory” Claire, the colours in it are fab. They are all gorgeous pics.

7. Gorgeous images Claire! Of course I am especially intrigued by the ice photo. I think I recognize that chunk. 🙂 I hope you had a wonderful time here in Canada.

• Thankyou Sue 🙂 We had an amazing time in Canada, if you get chance keep an eye on my blog over the next couple of weeks as I write about it. It’s a country that you can easily fall in love with, the people, the beauty, the history, the diversity….. I could gush for hours 🙂 I hope to be back soon x

• Wonderful to hear Claire! Although we have this winter business to deal with, Canada is a wonderful place to call home. I will definitely be by to check on your posts. 🙂

• Thanks Sue for taking the time to visit my blog 🙂 I suppose it’s easy for me to get excited about the winter as I don’t have to put up with it for months. Although we have the other spectrum in Ireland, a lot of rain all year. It’s tried to snow today, but inbetween it’s rained. So we will do a deal, you send me some snow for a while and I’ll send you some rain 😉

I hope you do pop by again, still got loads to post about Canada, with loads of other stuff thrown in.

• Claire the funny thing is that we in Western Canada have been having record setting highs all week! Very unusual for us in January.
          So glad you had such a great time in Canada. 🙂

8. Beautiful images Claire. Love Connemara and Donegal photos.